Handbook Anchor Link
The Tech Contracts Handbook
Cloud Computing Agreements, Software Licenses, and Other IT Contracts for Lawyers and Businesspeople
The Tech Contracts Handbook is a practical and accessible reference and training manual on IT contracts, published by the American Bar Association. It’s a clause-by-clause “how to” guide on cloud computing agreements, software licenses, technology services agreements, and other IT contracts — covering the issues at stake and offering negotiation tips and sample contract language. Since initial publication in 2010, it has regularly topped the list as the #1 bestseller from the IP Section of the ABA.
The Handbook is for both lawyers and businesspeople, including contract managers, procurement officers, corporate counsel, startup CFO’s, and anyone else responsible for contracts. Most important, it uses simple English, like a good contract.
Topics covered include:
- SOFTWARE-AS-A-SERVICE (SAAS) SUBSCRIPTIONS
- DATA SECURITY
- OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE
- SERVICE LEVEL AGREEMENTS (SLA’S)
- INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY (IP) PROTECTION
• NONDISCLOSURE AGREEMENTS (NDA’S)
• LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY
• TECHNOLOGY ESCROWS
• SOFTWARE/COPYRIGHT LICENSING
• RIGHTS IN FEEDBACK
- CLICKWRAPS, BROWSEWRAPS, SCROLLWRAPS, SHRINKWRAPS, AND SIGN-IN-WRAPS
- NON-COMPETE AND NON-SOLICITATION CLAUSES
- AND MUCH MORE!
Pocket Guide Anchor Link
The Tech Indemnities Pocket Guide
Indemnities in Software and Other IT Contracts for Lawyers and Businesspeople
This simple, 45-page guide comes from the new third edition of the ABA bestseller The Tech Contracts Handbook. This pull-out chapter focuses specifically on indemnities — an area that businesspeople and lawyers argue over more and understand less — than any other terms in technology contracts. Few contract-drafters can answer indemnity-related challenges with confidence and clarity, and many accept indemnity terms full of unseen problems and risks.
This practical e-book gives you the tools to draft and negotiate indemnities in software licenses, cloud computing agreements, and other IT contracts. It provides an authoritative, in-depth examination of indemnity clauses–for everyone from the most senior attorney to the most junior contract manager.
The Pocket Guide gives you a critical advantage when negotiating indemnities: knowledge and the ability to boil the issues down to bare bones–to the business issues at stake behind the terms.
Topics covered include:
- Common errors – e.g., treating indemnities like remedies for breach, misusing language like “arising out of, related to, or alleging” …
- IP indemnities, including their many exceptions
- Data incident indemnities and why they’re so hard
- Indemnities for personal injury, property damage, employee claims, etc.
- Indemnities from customers and distributors
- Ridiculous “nuclear indemnities”
- The “cause problem”: a little-known trap lurking beneath many indemnities in IT contracts
- And more!