Our Tech Contracts Master Class™ consists of four distance learning courses covering the terms typically found in IT contracts. They’re taught by David W. Tollen, author of The Tech Contracts Handbook, industry thought leader, and our founder.
January 2023 Series (Series 7)
January 10, 12, 19, & 26, 2023 – 10 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. PST
Discounted 4-class price: USD $1,395 ($185 off the individual class price for four)
Most students enroll in the full series – but we welcome individual class enrollments also, $395 per class. To enroll in individual classes, please contact us at info@TechContracts.com.
2 hours per class, 8 hours for the series
California credit is available
Other jurisdictions: We’ll provide certificates of attendance, and other information to support student self-submission efforts.
- Prime Clauses, Tech Contracts Master Class™: License, Subscription, IP Transfer, Payment – January 10, 2023, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. PST
- General Clauses, Tech Contracts Master Class™: Data Management, SLAs, Confidentiality, and other General Clauses – January 12, 2023, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. PST
- Key Liability Terms, Tech Contracts Master Class™: Including Indemnities, Warranties, and Limits of Liability – January 19, 2023, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. PST
- End-Game and Special Clauses, Tech Contracts Master Class™: Disputes, Termination, Special Terms, and OSS – January 26, 2023, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. PST
See below for curriculum details.
Don’t delay! If you’re enrolling close to the day of a class, we can’t guarantee processing in time to view the class live.
If you experience any difficulties completing your order on-line, or if you would prefer to pay via electronic funds transfer, please reach out asap to email@example.com. (Some international addresses occasionally create problems for the e-commerce platform. We appreciate your patience.)
PRIME CLAUSES, Tech Contracts Master Class™: License, Subscription, IP Transfer, Payment
Introduction: General introduction; contract drafter’s job; IP in IT contracts. Types of Deals and Prime Clauses: Types of tech deals; the Prime Clause. Prime Clauses in Action: On-premise software license; subscription for SaaS and other cloud services; promise of professional services; software ownership transfers; combination agreements; promise of payment (including go-live and other timing issues, revenue recognition). Q&A (based on students’ written questions).
GENERAL CLAUSES, Tech Contracts Master Class™: Data Management, SLAs, Confidentiality, and other General Clauses
General Clauses: Technical specifications, SLAs; business continuity and disaster recovery; services descriptions; delivery, acceptance, and rejection; nondisclosure. Data Clauses: Privacy and security law; defining, owning, and licensing data; use of data, including aggregate; compliance with privacy and security law; data location, access, deletion, and e-discovery; data security; audits and testing; data incidents; provider-friendly data terms. Q&A (based on students’ written questions).
KEY LIABILITY TERMS, Tech Contracts Master Class™: Including Indemnities, Warranties, and Limits of Liability
Warranties; indemnities; provider liability for 3rd parties; limits of liability; liquidated damages. Q&A (based on students’ written questions).
END-GAME AND SPECIAL CLAUSES, Tech Contracts Master Class™: Disputes, Termination, Special Terms, and OSS
Term & termination; transition and deconversion; non-solicit and noncompete; dispute management, mediation, arbitration, waiver of class actions, jury trials; ancillary IP terms; assignment, change of control, divestiture; choice of law and courts; order of precedence; amendment; open source software. Q&A (based on students’ written questions).
*Curriculum details subject to change.
Enrollment & Further Details
- Live Q&A. Our presenter will respond to students’ written questions (as time permits)
- On-line access to recordings upon request (within set 30-day window)
- Copy of program slides
- Certificate for each course, and a Tech Contracts Master Class™ Certificate of Completion after attending all four
- 35% discount on purchase of THE TECH CONTRACTS HANDBOOK: Cloud Computing Agreements, Software Licenses, and Other IT Contracts for Lawyers and Businesspeople, 3rd edition (ABA Publishing, 2021), available in e-book and paperback. (Following enrollment, we will send a discount code for just your use, for purchases only from publisher, ABA, directly — americanbar.org)
- CLE: 2 hours each class, 8 hours for the series. Available in California. Certificate of attendance and other information provided to support student self-submission efforts in other jurisdictions. See here for more CLE information.
Individual Class Purchases: Most of our students choose to take the full four-class series, and enjoy a 10+% discount over the cost of classes purchased separately. However, we welcome individual class registrations, at a cost of USD $395. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange individual class enrollments.
Group Discounts: We offer a 10% discount for full-series purchases of 5 or more from the same company/agency. Please contact email@example.com for a discount code to use when completing your order. An invoice for enrollment is available.
Presenter: David W. Tollen is an attorney, instructor at U.C. Berkeley Law School, expert witness, and author of the American Bar Association’s bestseller, The Tech Contracts Handbook: Cloud Computing Agreements, Software Licenses, and Other IT Contracts for Lawyers and Businesspeople (ABA Publishing; 3rd ed. 2021). He’s also our founder.