Our Tech Contracts Master Class™ series consists of four distance learning courses covering the terms typically found in IT contracts. They’re taught by David W. Tollen, author of The Tech Contracts Handbook, industry thought leader, and our founder.
This page is for full-series purchases, and also provides details about each class.
January 2024 Series (Series 11)
January 10, 17, 24, 31, 2024 – 10 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. PST (access to recordings available upon request, for a limited time after each class)
Series Discount: Discounted 4-class price: USD $1,395 ($185 savings compared to purchasing classes individually). Group Discounts: 10% discount for full-series purchases of 5 or more from the same company/agency. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a discount code to use when completing your series order. (An invoice for group enrollment can be made available).
If you’re enrolling close to the day of a class, we can’t guarantee processing in time to view the class live (but you’d still be eligible to request access to the recording). If you experience difficulty completing your order on-line, or for full-series purchases prefer to pay via electronic funds transfer, please reach out asap to email@example.com. (Some international addresses occasionally create problems for the e-commerce platform. We appreciate your patience.)
Most students enroll in the full series. (To do so, click “add to cart” on this page). To enroll instead in individual classes, use the registration links at the bottom of this page.
California credit is available: 2 hours per class, 8 hours for the series. Other jurisdictions: We’ll provide certificates of attendance, and other information to support student self-submission efforts.
Classes & Dates
- Prime Clauses, Tech Contracts Master Class™: License, Subscription, IP Transfer, Payment – January 10, 2024, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. PST (Recording access available through February 12, 2024)
- General Clauses, Tech Contracts Master Class™: Data Management, SLAs, Confidentiality, and other General Clauses – January 17, 2024, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. PST (Recording access available through February 19, 2024)
- Key Liability Terms, Tech Contracts Master Class™: Including Indemnities, Warranties, and Limits of Liability – January 24, 2024, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. PST (Recording access available through February 26, 2024)
- End-Game and Special Clauses, Tech Contracts Master Class™: Disputes, Termination, Special Terms, and OSS – January 31, 2024, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. PST (Recording access available through March 1, 2024)
PRIME CLAUSES, Tech Contracts Master Class™: License, Subscription, IP Transfer, Payment
Introduction: General introduction; contract drafter’s job; IP in IT contracts. Types of Deals and Prime Clauses: Types of tech deals; the Prime Clause. Prime Clauses in Action: On-premise software license; subscription for SaaS and other cloud services; promise of professional services; software ownership transfers; combination agreements; promise of payment (including go-live and other timing issues, revenue recognition). Q&A.
GENERAL CLAUSES, Tech Contracts Master Class™: Data Management, SLAs, Confidentiality, and other General Clauses
General Clauses: Technical specifications, SLAs; business continuity and disaster recovery; services descriptions; delivery, acceptance, and rejection; nondisclosure. Data Clauses: Privacy and security law; defining, owning, and licensing data; use of data, including aggregate; compliance with privacy and security law; data location, access, deletion, and e-discovery; data security; audits and testing; data incidents; provider-friendly data terms. Q&A.
KEY LIABILITY TERMS, Tech Contracts Master Class™: Including Indemnities, Warranties, and Limits of Liability
Warranties; indemnities; provider liability for 3rd parties; limits of liability; liquidated damages. Q&A.
END-GAME AND SPECIAL CLAUSES, Tech Contracts Master Class™: Disputes, Termination, Special Terms, and OSS
Term & termination; transition and deconversion; non-solicit and noncompete; dispute management, mediation, arbitration, waiver of class actions, jury trials; ancillary IP terms; assignment, change of control, divestiture; choice of law and courts; order of precedence; amendment; open source software. Q&A.
*Curriculum details subject to change.
- Q&A. Our presenter will respond to students’ written questions (as time permits)
- On-line access to recordings upon request (within set 30-day window)
- Copy of program slides
- Certificate for each course, and a Tech Contracts Master Class™ Certificate of Completion after attending all four
- 35% discount on purchase of THE TECH CONTRACTS HANDBOOK: Cloud Computing Agreements, Software Licenses, and Other IT Contracts for Lawyers and Businesspeople, 3rd edition (ABA Publishing, 2021), available in e-book and paperback. (Following enrollment, we will send a discount code for just your use, for purchases directly from the publisher, ABA, only — americanbar.org)
- CLE: 2 hours each class, 8 hours for series, in California. Certificate of attendance and other information provided to support student self-submission efforts in other jurisdictions. See here for more about CLE.
Individual Class Purchases: Most of our students choose to take the full four-class series (and enjoy the 10+% discount over the cost of classes purchased separately). However, we welcome individual class registrations. To purchase classes individually (USD $395 each), use these links:
- Prime Clauses: https://www.techcontracts.com/product/prime-clauses-series-11/
- General Clauses: https://www.techcontracts.com/product/general-clauses-series-11/
- Key Liability Terms: https://www.techcontracts.com/product/key-liability-terms-series-11/
- End-Game: https://www.techcontracts.com/product/end-game-series-11/
Presenter: David W. Tollen is an attorney, instructor at U.C. Berkeley Law School, expert witness, and author of the American Bar Association’s bestseller, The Tech Contracts Handbook: Cloud Computing Agreements, Software Licenses, and Other IT Contracts for Lawyers and Businesspeople (ABA Publishing; 3rd ed. 2021). He’s also our founder.
Note about GoToWebinar, our webinar platform: When logging in to our live class, a software download prompt may appear. You do not need to download GoTo’s software to access our program – it can be accessed directly via browser. Learn more here: https://support.goto.com/webinar/help/how-do-i-join-a-webinar-from-a-browser